Wednesday, April 23, 2014

That Ol' Head Ball Coach

By: Danny Cummins

Those of us who consider him family refer to him as "that ol' head ball coach." To most other he's Jake Headrick. Coach Jake has been a very important person in my life and I consider his presence a blessing. When I was 18 years old he gave me an opportunity to play for one of the most glorified junior college basketball programs of all time, Chipola Colleg,  he even gave me a full scholarship. Coach Jake always told me that I reminded him of himself and I HATED that until I grew a little older and more mature. Coach Jake played ball at Montevallo when he was in college and he got me a scholarship to play here too. Its makes me very happy to see him so successful, and it is cool that he is right down the road at Samford because we have been able to spend some time together now that I am grown and do not play for him anymore. Coach Jake used to get pissed off at me on a regular basis and snap on me in his office (I must say I deserved it-- quite the knucklehead I was). 

Me huddling over Coach Jake during time out at Chipola
He comes from a great family. His family owns Green Top BBQ in Dora, Alabama which is one of the most famous BBQ spots in the state. His father is a strong Christian who wrote a book about how The Good Lord helped him through his struggles with drug addiction. His mother is just a sweet, down-south woman who always gave me the look like I was her own son. He met his wife, Tommye Headrick, at the University of Montevallo, she was a member of Delta Gamma sorority. 


Coacher is a great example of what can happen is you chase your dreams and he inspires me to do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment