Sunday, April 27, 2014

Dollar Bill named Co-Citizen of the Year

By: Kayla Guillot

Thousands know him as Dollar Bill on the radio. But, in the city of Montevallo he is Bill Lawson co-citizen of the year. He shares the award with his wife Mary Lawson. The catch is neither one of them knew they were receiving the award.
Dollar Bill goofing around at the radio station 

"She knew I was getting an award and I knew she was getting an award. But the joke was on us because we were both getting the same award for citizen of the year," said Bill Lawson.

Montevallo holds a special place in Lawson's heart for many reasons and his wife Marty is certainly one of them.

"The UPS delivery driver for Montevallo for years introduced me to the bank manager at the time. This was about 20 years ago and now right at 15 years later she's my wife. I owe the city of Montevallo the love of my life," said Lawson.

The same night Lawson received an additional award presented by the President of the University of Montevallo, John Stewart III. Along with being the Grand Marshall of the parade for several years he also volunteers at the university too.

Dollar Bill and Madison with Luke Bryan
"I do a lot of events at Montevallo whenever they need me. I just worked an event for the faculty picnic down at the lake and I know President Stewart really well also. So, they gave me an award that looks like a diploma from the university for helping out. I joked with my dad, who was in the audience, that I got a diploma that he didn't have to pay for," said Lawson.

Dollar Bill has been on the radio more years than he is willing to admit. His co-host on the morning show, Madison, has said he would help anyone in need without any hesitation. One thing is certain though. He didn't need the city of Montevallo but it is clear the city relies on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment