Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Hot Dogs and Nachos, Step Right Up!

By: Danny Cummins

"Hot dogs and nachos-- step right up!'-- I would literally scream this-- for hours-- every Thursday-- every Friday-- and every Saturday night. And dammit it worked. Over and over and over again. It worked enough for my rent, power, water, cell phone, and car insurance to all be paid in full on a monthly basis.

I had the idea to set this up when I first came to Montevallo 3 years ago, I always knew it would be a gold mine. Then when I stopped drinking I was finally willing to sacrifice my weekend nights to make money instead of having fun. What I did not realize at the time was that I'd have more fun than I could handle selling these damn dogs and chips.

Jeff and Misty Webster (Tavern owners) have been great friends and mentors to me through all my growing pains, and when I approached them with an idea to set up a late-night hot dog stand outside their business they gave me 100% support.

I believe my stand has become a part of the community. There's not one Tavern weekend regular who I do not know on a first name basis and there are plenty of folks who come just to eat. That's right, they walk up in pajamas, buy food from me, and carry on into the night without entering the jam-packed Tavern.

I will look back on this experience as on of the greatest of my life and I will never forget the amazing memories I have at that ol' country bar. From the fights, to the puke, to the uncontrollable emotional drunken cries, to the altercations with police, to those beautiful solo guitar melodies from the likes of Hunter Lawley and musicians alike, I will NEVER  forget this place.

Thank you Jeff, Misty, Jimmy, Jim, Mchael, Momma, Big Jim, Big Dee, Julia, Maegan Pickett, and that guy with no teeth at the end of the bar who I still don't know what you are saying to me.

I love you all and thank you for the experience of a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment