Wednesday, October 12, 2016

A World Apart: Living With Autism


By Charmella Williams




UM student JoeAndre Sigur
University of Montevallo senior JoeAndre Sigur does not present the usual signs that we associate with autism, thus making his revelation all the more shocking to his friends on social media. "It's not a big secret," claimed Sigur, "so that's why I made it public, because I wanted people to understand me."

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is the name for a group of developmental issues across a wide range, or spectrum, of symptoms, skills, and levels of disabilities.

Symptoms may range from behavioral problems, like repetitive or unusual behaviors, to social problems, like making little eye contact or having an unusual tone of voice (sing-song or flat).

One of Sigur's favorite,
most impactful self-help books
Unlike most people who are diagnosed with autism at an early age, JoeAndre found out about his disability in his early 20s. The diagnosis, he says, allowed him to gain knowledge of self, causing him to be more aware and introspective.

Over the years, self-help books and frequent visits with counselors has helped him to become more socially outgoing and confident. Sigur's positive outlook on life is refreshing, but like all of us, he's had his blue times.

"I felt as though like, I'm a great guy...why me? Why does everything have to happen to me...why I got to suffer? Why I got to have mental problems? Why I gotta be looked at differently and be called a weirdo, you know?"

Those thoughts are fleeting, however, and much of Sigur's time is spent creating music and spending time with his friends and family. When asked what he wanted people to remember from this story, his answer was simple: "Be the authentic you. When you be the authentic you, I guarantee you live a much greater and prosperous life."

To learn more about the complexities of ASD, visit the National Institute of Mental Health, and to explore the counseling options available to students, faculty, and staff on UM's campus, call (205)-665-6245.


No comments:

Post a Comment