Thursday, February 16, 2017

Immigration: A Dream Turned Into Reality

by: Elizabeth Rhinehart



Danny's hometown in relation to Brownsville, Texas

Mexican immigrant Humberto "Danny" Diaz has lived in the United States for about 15 years, but that was not always the case. Born in Mexico, Danny and his family lived in poverty about 15 minutes away from the border of Texas.


"You've got to understand how rich America is to Mexico," he said. "We did not have much. We didn't have AC. We didn't have air conditioning or heat."

When he was six years old, his mother was able to turn a dream into a reality when she was eligible for a work visa. They packed up a car that they borrowed from an uncle and made the 16 hour trek to Montevallo, Alabama.

"I remember her [Danny's mother] telling me to talk to her, eating a lot, pouring water on herself, trying to stay awake."

Montevallo Elementary School
Danny started second grade at Montevallo Elementary School, where he was the only Hispanic in his class. He did not know any English and nobody else knew Spanish so he had to teach himself in order to be able to communicate.

"It took four months. After four months I was already reading on their level."


After six years of renewing work visas and temporary visas, Danny and his mother were finally able to call themselves United States citizens.

While Danny and his mother now hold permanent residency status, he sees millions of other immigrants who aren't here legally facing deportation.

According to Diaz, many of the immigrants who come here illegally don't plan to stay for long periods of time. They want to work hard for a couple of years, send all of the money they can back to Mexico and then go back to their families.

Danny and his son, Braxton
"I'm really in the middle. I don't know if it's right or if it's wrong but I know I would do it for Braxton. I would do it for my son.
"I work endless hours for my son and if I was in Mexico and if the only way to make his life better was to come here then I would do it."

Just like his mother all of those years ago, Danny is driven by a desire to provide the best life possible for his family.

"Everyone is like enjoy your 20s. I want to enjoy my 30s. I want to get my hands dirty and work hard now so I can rest later."

Because of his hard work and determination, he landed a job at the Mercedes-Benz plant in Tuscaloosa...and as a 22-year old, he is a team leader. He is living his "American Dream".

For the full interview with Danny, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment