Thursday, February 9, 2017

A Season of New Beginnings

By: Hope Finley

Mitch Moreland grew up in Amory, Mississippi, playing baseball since the age of 5. Although Mississippi is where Moreland grew up, for the past 7 years he has called Texas home. Moreland was drafted in 2007, by the Texas Rangers Professional Baseball team.

Mitch Moreland, former 1st Baseman for the Texas Rangers
signs one-year contract with the Boston Red Sox
This season Moreland will have a new home away from home after signing on with the Boston Red Sox, since becoming a free agent in 2016.

Moreland says joining the Red Sox is a fresh start and a big adventure for him and his family. "Its a long ways from home for me. Texas was nice because it was still in the south. I'm a small town guy and Texas was kind of spread out, so Boston is going to be a little bit of a culture shock for me. I've got my wife and kids to lean on, they'll help me through it no problem."

Moreland married Susannah Higgins Moreland in 2011, who graduated at the University of Montevallo in 2009 with a degree in Elementary Education. Together they have two children, Crue and Swayze.

The Moreland Family
And while Moreland may have the "dream job", being a professional baseball player leaves little room for family time.

Moreland credits his father for instilling drive and work ethic in him from a young age. "My dad was a huge influence on my life. He coached me all the way up. He was always there to push me, always backing me. I owe him as much as I do anybody."

As a father, Moreland said there are hardships that come with being on the road for 180 days out of the year.

Tee-ball games and gymnastics meets, Moreland said he's already missed more in the beginnings of his children's activities than his father ever did in his entire life.

Moreland knows a good career does not last long in MLB, he wants to enjoy the time he has left playing the sport he loves, so that in the future he can enjoy watching his children do what they love.

If you want to catch Mitch Moreland in action this season with the Boston Red Sox click here for ticket information.









No comments:

Post a Comment