Thursday, March 10, 2016

Alabama K-9's Training Day

By: Austin Crafton

Constantly trying to provide the best protection for the area - Local law enforcement get out on Sundays to train at different locations with their high-powered "K-9 Units."
Deputy Alfred Grace of the Walker County Sheriffs' Office and his K-9 Robby are the gold standard. Partners for almost a year now, their classifications are staggering. They are certified for virtually any scenario that may come their way and their chemistry shows any time you have the opportunity to watch them work. Grace says, "He's so smart, I don't even have to lead him."
I'd feel bad for anyone in this situation without the suit!

Grace has been coming to these training exercises for roughly six months. He and Robby are the center-attraction when the time comes for an apprehension exercise. There's nothing but nerves when trying to figure out who is going to put on the 40-pound, $2000 dollar padded suit made specially for this kind of training.

Ronnie Phillips of Dora Police goes first and Robby all but bites through the suit's inches of padding. After much careful thought, I believe I'm up for the challenge as well. They harness me in and give all the scenarios of what could possibly happen - And then out comes Robby. My heart is thumping, my palms are sweaty. I can't believe what I have signed myself up for.

Grace, just as he would in the field screams "SUSPECT! On the ground! This dog will bite!" A quick count to three and Robby is unchained and on my arm before I can even realize what hit me. I buckle to the ground and the dog continues to drag me several feet before Grace pulls him off. I am unscathed but amazed at the power these animals possess.

I am in complete amazement of just how skilled these officers are to handle such power every day. 
                                                                              


No comments:

Post a Comment