Wednesday, February 11, 2015

City of Jasper Animal Shelter leaves a mighty-big paw print on community

By: Austin Crafton



When I started thinking about what I wanted to cover for my first story - I wanted to shine a light on an organization that brought a great deal of joy into my own home. The City of Jasper Animal Shelter may be small by some standards, but the people that work there and the animals they adopt out have big hearts.

Just in September my mom and I brought home Max from the shelter.  The workers there couldn't tell us exactly how old he was or his breed, but we knew he was a great fit for our home. Five months later, he's spoiled rotten and sneaks in naps on the sofa whenever my back is turned.


If it's puppies you want - Jasper Animal Shelter has them regularly. But it is the older dogs that have been misplaced out of a home like our Max that touch my heart.

When I went down to see Shelter Director Debra Nicks, she brought to my attention that the shelter now has a regularly-updated Facebook page. Through the page, Debra has been able to connect with not only the Jasper and Walker County communities, but adopters from other areas - As far off as Canada. Debra told me the story of a retired Marine from up north who sent his buddy who lived in the south after a special dog that caught his eye.

Out of all the stories Debra told me, one really caught me off guard. "I can't retell this one without crying she warned me."  Through the Facebook page just a week ago, she was able to reconnect a dog and her family after being separated for three years. 

Sure, being a pet owner can be a challenge. But anything worthwhile is. Adopting from your local shelter not only helps your community, but hopefully fills your home with joy.

For more information on City of Jasper Animal Shelter visit: Facebook.com/JasperAnimalShelter 





No comments:

Post a Comment