Friday, February 21, 2014

A place to be yourself and sometimes other people.



By James Crim

At first glance the Montevallo Organization of Gaming  may appear as a group not unlike any of the other groups that one can join on campus, but dig a little deeper and you will find an experience that can't be found anywhere else. MOG isn't a group content with just playing any old board game; you can find a vast array of card, video, board, and tabletop games being played, critiqued and designed.
Master Chief maintains vigil over the most dangerous weapons in gaming.

You read that correctly, games are designed and showcased at MOG. Students design games for the Game Studies and Design minor and many times they use MOG gaming nights as a chance to find people to help test out their hard work. It's a satisfying experience to help someone play, break and fix a game that has many hours of design time put into it.

MOG isn't solely about games either. Whereas games are the core of MOG, social interaction forms the foundation of the games themselves. They give students an excuse to interact and meet new people on a common ground. Shared interests open the doors for budding friendships with classmates.

Currently designing a mecha based tabletop roleplaying game.
University of Montevallo student Garrett Roth found MOG as an opportunity to make a
connection with the campus and his classmates stating, "I had done almost nothing on campus before MOG. Essentially I would come as part of a business transaction, you know, I pay you, I get my education, I go home. ...I was just kind of here floating around, a guy you would see for a few moments and I'd just vanish off campus, no one would see me again. Ever since I started coming to MOG I come every Tuesday and Thursday now like clockwork."

The Montevallo Organization of Gaming meets in Hill House every Tuesday and Thursday night at 7:30. You can become a member by paying ten dollars which lands you a set of gaming dice in a felt bag for all your gaming needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment